29 April 2012

Nara - Day 1 - 奈良市

Nara-shi 奈良市 - Day 1 


Getting in Nara was a bit of an adventure as I didn’t exactly know which train station was the right one, but it added a bit more to my tour around the country.

I got out in the Kyobate JR Station but I got confused and took another train to Central Nara in order to go to get to the Kintetsu Nara Station. Once I got there it was a bit more complicated since there were no signs for Tourist Information Office but as usual Japanese people were very helpful. I got inside this travel agency shop in the lower ground and they told me to go upstairs and take the 3rd exit. However, they stressed that  I had to hurry because the Tourist Office was going to close very soon.

Special Konbini in Nara  奈良市のコンビニ
Special Konbini in Nara - transformed into an improvised bar after closing time - 奈良市のコンビニ



So I got there there were a very old man and a equally old lady – very kind and helpful. They spoke English amazingly well and pointed on the map where exactly I had to go. They even apologised because they didn’t have an English brochure but I told them "Daijobu,  watashi wa mappu wo wakaru" Yes, ok that might not be perfect but it’s almost perfect. I told them that I can understand the map.

As soon as I left they closed the office so I went through the main arcade in Nara. I'm not 100% sure but there weren't many shops opened. It was Sunday evening and I wasn't expecting any shops to be opened to be honest. 
Cat Cafe Naramachi 猫のCAFE
I guess a Cat Cafe nearby the hostel in Naramachi 猫のCAFE



Nara - Japanese roof tiles
Nara - Japanese style roof tiles


I walked and walked and walked a lot it’s actually almost 1.5kms from the station to the hostel so don’t panic if it takes a bit to get there the first time. The walk is nice anyway, very narrow alleys and that typical Japanese feeling whereever you go. Finally, I got to the Naramachi Hostel where I was welcomed by the man running the Hostel Mr. Anzai Shunju and Anzai Kumiko.


View Larger Map

I’m going to make a bit of marketing about this great hostel in Nara. There are many hostels in Nara as well as hotels but this one was according to the reviews one of the best. Indeed,  the man running the hostel is very polite and strict (no smile) in the beginning. 

He wants to make sure you understand all the rules of the hostel.  His English is very good (his wife’s English is as good as his) and we had many chats about different topics from Japanese history, going through the Hostel history (very interesting) and the last day we talked about internet marketing.

Chu - Hi - Ringo - Apple Juice - Japan - Kirin
Best Apple Juice EVER!

meiji - yoghurt
It's quite difficult to find yoghurt with different flavours in Japan - but this one did the trick

wagashi - anko
Wagashi  - 和菓子 -soft dough filled with anko (sweet beans paste)   



So like I said in the beginning the man is very strict (or so seems to be when you first meet him) however, he’s very friendly and in no time you’ll see why I’m saying this. His wife is lovely from first second you meet her but I barely had a chance to talk to her unfortunately.  

The hostel has some quite interesting things, the living room is quite big although since it’s an old house and it was winter most of the people stayed near the heater. He has free tea (all kind) as well as free coffee (all kind) and he’s very proud of sharing his amazing coffee (if you're lucky you'll try a very rare sake he owns) with his guests. He turns off the light at 22:00 but don’t worry you've got a set of keys you can use to come back at whatever time you find convenient.

The rest of the hostel is equally interesting – it’s worth saying that the whole house hasn't changed that much since the Edo period, and it keeps that woody style – I stayed in a bunk bed and the room had 2 bunk beds.

Each bed has power supply, lamp and a think curtain you can open to keep it dark. I was quite lucky because the room was empty until I came back from shopping. A Japanese girl who was travelling Japan stayed there in the room. She was very friendly and she’s from Fukushima so I was even more surprised.

In case you’re wondering, she was living in Tokyo when the earthquake happened. Her father lost many of the harvest but he's been keeping up the faith that things are going to get better soon for everyone in the region.

Beautifully decorated!


The hostel bathrooms are amazingly clean both the toilet as well as the shower. Seriously, the shower was as cleaned as the one in my house and I’m very picky about it. Another thing which is very important is all the vast information you have available about Nara. 

He’s got a good collection of updated brochures, as well as WIFI ( Yeah, Wifi believe it or not he’s got that). Do you remember what I told you about Kyoto and Wifi? Well Japan and Wifi are not very good friends at least not in public areas – Do not rely of free-Wifi-spots because that does not exist unless of course you happen to be as lucky as me in Nara.




No comments:

Post a Comment