10 September 2012

Day 5 - Kurashiki - First day of 2012 – Jūnihitoe Ceremony and Bikan Area




2011 was in the past and I was already in 2012. On top of that, I was blessed to be in my favourite holiday destination – Japan.

After such a nice day in the mountains and amazing food the first year of the year was going to be a truly religious experience. I went with my friend to give the first pray of the year in 2012.  According to the tradition we went to the most important shrine in Kurashiki called Achi-Jinja or  阿智神社  located on the top of a hill called  Tsurugatayama or 鶴形山.

This hill is located right in the middle of the cultural and touristic area called Bikan. Bikan due to its beauty and proper has been used in many movies and series that are uncommon on this side of the world.

View Achi Jinja - Kurashiki in a larger map




Bikan has also taken as an inspiration for many cartoons like Rouroni Kenshin or Samurai X – no doubt, because you can see some resemblance with the actual place and the one on the cartoon, but then again during the Meiji Era almost every town looked like this somehow. It’s a pity that places like this made of stone have slowly disappeared around the country.

Turning back to the first place I visited that day, we got to the place after some nice steps you’ll have to walk up. Mind you, if you’ve got knee problems you should reconsider this, but you can go by car and get there without any problems.

Of course that day it was packed, many people had come from different places around the city and they were all queuing up to get inside the shrine. Even to purify your hands and mouth was going to be a bit crowded, but nothing to be scared of.


Achi-jinja-kurashiki
Achi-jinja in Kurashiki


Once we got to the top we prayed and that might have taken us at least 30 mins, but it felt good, especially since many people were doing it and the weather and the purity of the air felt great.

After praying we saw that on the right hand side of the shrine there were a lot of people gathered looking a ceremony. The ceremony itself is called Junihitoe and it's the process of wearing the twelve layers of robe (kimonos).  This elaborated kimono is the old style and was wore by the high-classes back in the Heian Period, as well as the Empress. Actually I read somewhere that the last time this was wore on public by a Empress was in 1926 by Empress Kojun.

Miko-san in Achi Jinja in Kurashiki 2012
Miko-san in Achi Jinja in Kurashiki 2012


The name Junihitoe, basically translate into "twelve layers robe"  and that gives you an idea of how big and beautiful she was that morning.

But the ceremony has 2 flute players on the side that play the flute with some intervals. They wore a dark purple kimono and didn’t move until the very end when miko-san left the place.

Shinto flute players in Achi-Jinja - Kurashiki
Shinto flute players in Achi-Jinja - Kurashiki

The whole ritual is very slow and the care taken by three other mikos is incredible. The two oldest (experienced) ones were putting the different kimonos, while the youngest one was waiting patiently until the new kimono had to be unfolded and to be used by the other two miko-sans.

Kimono and Fan in Achi-jinja Kurashiki
Junihitoe and Fan in Achi-jinja Kurashiki


We got there late but I reckon the whole ceremony lasts an hour or so. For those photographers who like to snap every movement and every angle this ceremony is a must, since everything is done slowly and at the end when the miko is wearing all layers the scene in front of you is beautiful.  Then once she’s done all the 4 of them will leave the place in a very elegant and beautiful fashion.

As she leaves she hides her face using her well-decorated fan and she walks out and is led to an open space where people can appreciate the beauty of all the different kimonos she’s wearing at the same time.

Like I said before I still don’t know how many layers she’s on at the end of the ceremony but I wouldn’t be surprised if she’s wearing 12 kimonos.

Miko san leaving the stage in Achi Kurashiki
Miko san leaving the stage in Achi Kurashiki


Well I couldn't believe we spent almost an hour and half in a Shinto shrine, jokily I told my friend I would never spend so many time in a church.



Next we went to this little shop (I’m sorry but I don’t know how else to call it like) There were many mikos and all of them were wearing the typical white top and red hakama (trousers) but they were also wearing a kind of crown.  I think this crown is used only in very important occasions like this one.


Miko outside Achi-Jinja in Kurashiki
Complete Junihitoe outside Achi-Jinja in Kurashiki


The roof of the shop had a map of the Achi-Jinja a well as a round Chinese calendar and four Senbazuru 千羽鶴is a group of thousand origami paper cranes held together by strings.

Shinto shop with Chinese Calendar in Achi-jinja
Shinto shop with Chinese Calendar in Achi-jinja


Shinto Priest in Achi-Jinja Kurashiki
Shinto Priest in Achi-Jinja Kurashiki

Bikan - Best preserved area of late Meiji Era in Japan



After that we had to go down to Bikan where my friend’s parents where waiting for us to go and have lunch so we walked a bit around Bikan and found so nice places like for example, the typical narrow streets (it’s a pity everything was closed due to NY) and we also saw a beautiful garden at the back of a restaurant that reminded me of the zen gardens in Kyoto.




But as we were leaving Bikan we came across this funny cat shop, where you could find anything for your cat and some stuff for your dog as well.

Cat shop - Bikan Area -Kurashiki
Cat shop - Bikan Area -Kurashiki





Since many good restaurants were closed due to the date we went to a massive shopping centre in Kurashiki, I think it’s the only one actually.  

Now that I remember outside the shopping centre there were many Vikings statues. Please don’t ask why, because till today nobody knows why. Once inside I spot the shop that would bring my real-me a JUMP shop was in front of me, packed with young kids, and adults.

Jump shop in Kurashiki
Jump shop in Kurashiki


Anime, manga, Japanese animation call it like you want, this is great! I couldn't believe my eyes. I seriously felt like I was in paradise.  I just didn’t want to buy the whole shop and the queue to pay was loooooong so I decided to postpone the anime shopping spread for Tokyo.


Afterwards, we went to have this great udon. I can tell you something now “never go for two portions of udon” also “never challenge a hungry Japanese man”. Let’s say that I was hungry and we got there and I see the portions so I made this daft mistake of asking for two portions.




Bear in mind that I’m a slow eater and now I know that everyone in Japan is a fast pace eater. My udon were delicious but I couldn't finish them as quickly as my friend’s dad. Actually he joked about saying: “Never mess around a hungry Japanese Manager” – trust me lesson learnt!




Afterwards it was already late so we went back home for a well deserved rest and talk. It was also going to be my last day in West Japan as I was going to head to Shizuoka to meet another friend and spend a couple of days with her.

またね!

No comments:

Post a Comment