23 February 2012

Arcades in Osaka


Arcades are quite common in Japan, ok I guess we all know that by now. However, the kind of arcades that can be found in Japan are way longer than I expected.

My first encounter with it was on my way to the Osaka Castle when I first saw lots of people getting inside this long street(arcade). I couldn’t go in the first time because I’d had a plan already but I checked it on the way back and this is what I saw.





It doesn’t matter how many words and how detailed my description can be, an arcade it’s one of those places that you have to experience first-hand. Looking at all the people walking, lots of bicycles – to my surprise not crashing into someone (I’m not saying it doesn’t happen but I didn’t see any accident), nobody looking at anything or anybody but looking at everything at the same time. 


I know it sounds quite confusing but just put a bit of zen into this and try to understand it. I can’t recall a place like this anywhere in the world, perhaps a bazar in Turkey or Morocco but then again it’s not that clean and the people are not so polite and the places are not as clean as in Japan.

Fish seller in Osaka
Fish seller in Osaka


If you have nothing to do, plenty of cash and a huge luggage you can carry back home then I’d definitely recommend you to go to an arcade in any city in Japan because I'm sure you’ll find something for you or someone you know.

Another aspect of these arcades is how clean they are. I can’t stop stressing how important cleanness is for Japanese people but when you go to such a crowded place it really makes it something remarkable, at least for me.

Pedestrian cross - Bic Camera Osaka
Pedestrian cross - Bic Camera Osaka


I walked all Shinsaibashi till Namba and on the way to Namba I went into this massive gadget shop called BIC Camera. I reckon I spent an hour in that place but so many lenses and cameras to play around with, did not leave me any choice. Afterwards, I ate takoyaki and okonomiyaki in Doutonbori. I was alone and I didn’t know where to go so I just stopped very near the Giant Crab you can see in the video.

Doutonbori - And the Big Crab - Osaka
Doutonbori - And the Big Crab - Osaka



Wherever I went to I felt people always had the same attitude, friendliness, happiness (even though inside they might not have been so happy) -- and yes plenty of neon lights.

Takoyaki in Doutonbori Osaka
Takoyaki in Doutonbori Osaka


By the time I finished the takoyaki it was already night time. I decided to go back to the hostel walking, slowly and see how different Osaka would look like in the evening. Indeed, there were some differences, lots of drunken people, lots of girls wearing mini-skirts with the blondish hair colour, they all looked scarily similar. I’d dare to say that they were the stereotypical kawaii Japanese girl.

However, the shocking part of the journey back was to see a lot of beggars and street people bringing sleeping-bags, cardboards and arranging them in what seemed to be their sleeping spot. Of course, they didn't do anything; they didn't even ask for money or anything but still was a bit shocking.

Doutonbori Arcade - Osaka - Rush hour
Doutonbori Arcade - Osaka - Rush hour


I saw many foreigner families with their kids and some of them just left them alone. I mean, I know Japan is very safe but I wouldn't risk it. Even if I'm Japanese I wouldn't leave my child alone running in an arcade.

One last thing, make sure that when you visit the busy side of Osaka you haven’t got a headache otherwise you won’t have a nice experience. Apart from that just go and experience an arcade, I really don’t think you’ll be able to avoid them anyway, since they tend to be very close to the most important places in any big Japanese city.

No comments:

Post a Comment