2 March 2012

Last day in Osaka and First day ( and dinner) in Kyoto




My last day in Ōsaka was also my first day in Kyoto and it was also going to be the first time I was meeting my dear friend after almost 10 years. She was very kind and helped me booking a room at a hotel very close to the Kyoto imperial palace.

I know- not the best picture - but I was in a rush


Who says trains in Japan are always punctual? Well I used to be one of those until that day when I took the train from Ōsaka to Kyoto - and yes, it was delayed. But nothing to be worried about the journey was quite pleasant and all I was doing was looking at the new things.


Something that shocked me a bit was the size of the stations in Japan. Not all of them of course, just the ones in the big cities. Kyoto was going to be the first experience and of course I got a lost big time and my Japanese didn't help me as much as I'd have liked.

After wandering and asking random people inside the station for almost 30 mins I found my way to the Kyoto subway line I meant to take. I got to the subway station then the hotel and my friend was a couple of metres away. The hotel was very nice and comfortable but they had what seemed to be a old radio player which honestly was a bit out of place - haha.

Finally met my friend and after almost 40 minutes of catching up with our lives, we were hungry so decided to go to a restaurant nearby. The restaurant was located in a little street some 400 metres from the hotel and it had a funny sign outside, look below please.

Kyoto restaurant opening and closing times
Kyoto restaurant opening and closing times

For those of you who had been in Japan before I'm sure you have seen this already, but I didn't know that in Japan the day has 25 hours. That was quite funny and I didn't know how to ask my friend without being offensive why Japan has 25 hours. The funny thing is that when I asked her about it, she didn't know the answer. She just told me: "it's always been like this" LOL - After the first impression of the restaurant we got in and sat in the bar.

I know what you might be thinking but we were indeed hungry and we didn't want to get drunk.  Another of those moments I'm very grateful about when I learn new things about the japanese culture. Almost all restaurants in Japan have a bar but not the common western style (unless you go to a western style restaurant). The bar in a restaurant is quite normal and this was not going to be the last time I eat in a bar. (In case you're wondering yes you do have normal tables like any other restaurant).

My friend told me what I wanted to eat and gave me the menu and hehehe I couldn't do much since everything was in Japanese.  The only kanjis I knew by then were "niku" (meat) ; "sakana" (fish) but that's definitely not enough if you want to order at a restaurant. So I let my friend chose for me, the only requirement was that I wanted to try typical Kyoto food or Kansai food.

Cold sake in Kyoto
Cold sake in Kyoto

Egg and Japanese Pickles in Kyoto
Egg and Japanese Pickles in Kyoto

Fried Mochi Rice - Kyoto Style
Fried Mochi Rice - Kyoto Style
Fried tofu Kyoto Style
Fried tofu Kyoto Style

fried pork Kyoto Style
fried pork Kyoto Style

Miso soup and pepper bamboo bottle in Kyoto
Miso soup and pepper bamboo bottle in Kyoto

Green Tea Ice-cream in Kyoto
Green Tea Ice-cream in Kyoto


The pictures speak for itself, I don't have too much else to say really. Unfortunately, I don't remember the name of every dish but i will ask my friend and update this post soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment